16 January 2007

Ariff is 100 days old today!















































































































My Ariff was born on 9th October 2006.As of today, 16th January 2007, he is 100 days old. He is now 5.6kg ( without diapers), nearly double his birth weight of 2.9kg. He can now recognises faces and voices. And loves to smile.He hardly cries but will cried out to get attention. A small shrill cry....aaaiiii...aaaiiii... meaning, please pick me up so I can jump up and down. I know I don't cry much but that doesn't mean I love lying around.





I copied this from another proud mummy's blog.








I think in traditional malay culture, a baby is no longer considered a 'newborn' once it has passed its 100 days mark. Therefore the baby is not susceptible to dangers that a newborn is thought to face. It can now jijak tanah, which literally means 'step on dirt', basically the baby is allowed to go out of the house. I guess by 100 days, the old folks think that the baby's spirit is strong enough to withstand the disturbances caused by devils and spirits and such. *shrug*. Izani, of course, has gone out of the house months ago.. we've been dragging him along on shopping trips and such. Because we are not traditional malay parents.. heh heh. The baby is also considered to be free from the threat of colic. It can now be free of it's barut, which is like a tiny soft cotton girdle that is said to keep the gasses out of the baby's tummy. Izani has been free of his barut for a few weeks now, because he had outgrown them! His tummy is so big, I can't even tie them up properly and his tummy would still be exposed. The bit about the baby being free from colic is not true either. I think all my other babies had colic till they were about 4 months, when they start eating solids. I don't know what else is the significance of the 100 days, perhaps some of the other Malaysian mommies (who are more atuned to the malay culture, unlike me *shame*) can help elaborate. Courtesy of Elisa Taufik blog

No comments: